Parents Right to Know:
In compliance with the requirements of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), we like to inform the parents of children attending Title I, Part A schools (Ford Middle School, Keithley Middle School, Franklin Pierce High School, Washington High School, and GATES High School) that you have the right to request information about the professional qualifications of your student’s teacher(s) or instructional paraprofessional(s) [ESSA Section 1112(e)(1)(A)].
The following professional qualification information may be requested pertaining to your child’s teacher(s):
- Whether the teacher has met Washington teacher certification requirements for the grade level and subject areas in which the teacher provides instruction.
- Whether the teacher is teaching under an emergency or other provisional status through which Washington qualifications or certification criteria have been waived.
- The college major and any graduate certification or degree held by the teacher.
- Whether the student is provided services by paraprofessionals, and if so, their qualifications.
The following professional qualification information may be requested pertaining to an instructional paraprofessional instructing your child:
Paraeducators must be at least eighteen years of age and hold a high school diploma or its equivalent, (for more detailed information on what is considered equivalent, please read the FAQ (document) at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mS3yqB93IQymwsFxVv3WJd3-2B51Boz0RsAIsSIh5kw/edit.
In addition, a paraeducator must meet one of the following:
- Have received a qualifying score on the Education Testing Service (ETS) paraeducator assessment
- Hold an associate degree or higher from an accredited college or university
- Have earned 72 quarter credits or 48 semester credits at the 100 level or higher at an accredited college or university
- Have completed an apprenticeship as a paraeducator, in a program registered with the Washington State Apprenticeship and Training Council.* For more information go to Minimum employment requirements - Professional Educator Standards Board (whttps://www.pesb.wa.gov/paraeducator-certificate-program/minimum-employment-requirements/a.gov).
Note: Paraprofessionals must work under the supervision of a certiﬁed teacher. All paraprofessionals must meet professional qualiﬁcations.
If you wish to request information concerning your child’s teacher’s and instructional paraprofessional’s qualification, you may contact the Title I Coordinator at 253-298-3048 or the Human Resources Department at 253-298-3082.