In order to participate in Franklin Pierce Schools athletics, each student athlete must complete the athletics registration process.
Student and Parent/Guardian Responsibilities
- Complete the online registration process (link above). All information and policies must be reviewed.
- Purchase ASB card. ASB cards can either be purchased during the online registration process or from your school's bookkeeper.
- Obtain a current Doctor-signed Physical (physical examinations expire two years after the signed date).
Athletic Department Staff Responsibilities
- Reviews and processes athletic registrations in order to provide athletic clearance.
- Notifies student of incomplete registration issues.
- Provides clearance to students who are cleared to participate.
- Practice and contest participation will be allowed only if student has clearance from the Athletic Department.
- Copies of Athletic registrations are kept with the coach/advisor on-site for the duration of the sports.
Special Olympics and Franklin Pierce Schools believe young people can make a difference in friendships, schools and communities through Unified Sports.
Each school year our district offers competition in bowling, basketball, and soccer through Washington State Special Olympics for our middle school and high school students. Unified Sports focuses on teams made up of individuals with and without intellectual disabilities. By playing side-by-side participants not only develop their physical skills and social skills as they practice for competition, but challenge the prejudices that exist around intellectual/physical disabilities. Unified Partners and athletes may choose to participate in one or all three sport seasons.
Commitment and dedication is important for our Unified Sports teams to flourish. Parents/Guardians must be able to transport athletes to and from practices and games or arrange a carpool.
To participate, athletes with Individualized Education Plans must complete an Application for Participation (physical form from a doctor). Unified Partners must complete a Unified Partner Waiver Form. Applications for Participation are good for three years and cover all three sports seasons once completed.
If you have any questions regarding participation in Unified Special Olympics Sports for the 2019-20 school year, please contact Erica Walter by email.
For further Unified Sports information, please visit the Special Olympics website (links below).