A Message from Our Superintendent
Dear Franklin Pierce Community-
During the summer and even in early fall, we shared information about the plan to begin welcoming students back into school. Since stating our intention to move in this direction, there continues to be an increase in positive COVID-19 cases in Pierce County. School districts across the county have been encouraged to pause on reopening plans. While we will continue to plan for the hybrid transition, we do not have a specified date when general education students will return to buildings.
While we wait to resume in-person instruction:
- Students are working on district-issued laptops to access remote learning:
- Students have schedules in which they are required to participate in teacher-led instruction time (online teaching that will occur at set times) and teacher-directed time (activities to be completed on their own time);
- Student attendance is monitored;
- Students are assessed on their understanding of new content; and
- Select students who qualify are allowed to receive instruction and educational services in school buildings.
Please see more details at Hybrid Learning Updates.
We offer a menu of resources to lessen the burden that remote learning places on students and families:
- Families that qualify are able to receive free internet access through a mobile WiFi hotspot or internet service promo code.
- Information about childcare is posted to the FPS website.
- FPS provides free breakfast and lunch at meal sites throughout our community.
- Parents and guardians have access to a menu of educational, social emotional and technology tools to support their child’s learning.
Please visit www.fpschools.org for up-to-date information as we progress through the school year. Teams are meeting regularly and new resources are being created on a daily basis.
Thank you all for your patience, support and creative input as we work together to navigate these challenging times. Many indicators suggest that this pandemic is not going to go away quickly. Please know that the health and safety of staff and students is our top priority as we consider the road ahead.