School Board of Directors
We, the Franklin Pierce School District Board of Directors, acknowledge the land where we learn and live are the traditional lands of the Coast Salish People, more specifically the Puyallup Tribe of Indians. The Puyallup people have lived and cared for these lands since time immemorial and we acknowledge the harm done by colonization, the Medicine Creek Treaty of 1854, dispossession, forced removal, and the injustices still occurring today. Indigenous people still thrive here and take care of the land and their community. The Franklin Pierce school community commits to uplifting the true experiences and histories of Indigenous people and we stand with the tribe in their continued efforts to sustain tribal sovereignty. We also acknowledge this is only one step of many our community can take in solidarity with the tribe.
The Franklin Pierce School Board, consists of five directors, elected by local residents to govern our school district. They are responsible for establishing school policies according to the laws of the federal and state government, the State Board of Education, and the State Superintendent of Public Instruction.
In addition to elected directors, three student representatives attend school board meetings, share information between the school board and their student peers, and provide student voice and advisory votes to the directors before board action is taken.
How Can I Get Involved?
Attend our meetings: You are welcome to attend board meetings to learn more about the work of our directors.
Email the directors
Vice President Alex Davis - District #1 | email@example.com
President Pro Tempore Ron Nerio - District #2 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Mark Baumgarten - District #3 | email@example.com
Legislative Representative Mary Sherman - District #4 | firstname.lastname@example.org
President Tono Sablan - District #5 | email@example.com
Sign up to comment during the next regular board meeting
- In-Person Attendees: Sign up at the check-in table upon arrival at the meeting location.
- Online Zoom Attendees: Contact Kristin Holten at firstname.lastname@example.org or 253‑298‑3010 by 3 p.m. the day prior to the meeting to submit written comments or receive instructions for commenting live using the Zoom video conference system.
What Happens at a Board Meeting?
- Regular meetings are scheduled according to FPS Policy 1400 and Procedure 1400P. Some regular meetings include full agendas with public comment and board action, while other regular meetings are work sessions that focus on study and discussion.
- Work Sessions - Work session meetings provide time for the directors and student representatives to receive detailed information about district business and have extended conversations with each other and district staff. Work sessions rarely include public comment or final board action.
- Meetings with Public Comment - The Franklin Pierce School Board meets at least once per month to conduct district business and accept public comments during the Announcements and Communication portion of the agenda. Audience and community comments will be limited to two minutes per person.
- Online Virtual Attendees: Please contact Kristin Holten at email@example.com or 253‑298‑3010 by 3 p.m. the day prior to the meeting to submit written comments or receive instructions for commenting live using the Zoom webinar system.
- In-Person Attendees: Sign up to comment at the check-in table upon arrival at the meeting location.
- Special meetings are scheduled in addition to regular meetings.
- Emergency meetings are held when immediate action is required.