5251 Conflicts of Interest

General Rule
No district employee will engage in, or have a direct financial interest in, any activity which conflicts with his/her duties and responsibilities. Further, no district employee may employ or use any person, money, or school property under the employee’s official supervision, control, or direction for the private gain of that employee or another.
Activities where a conflict of interest may exist include, but are not limited to:
A. Receiving economic benefit from selling or promoting the sale of goods or services to students or their parents where the knowledge of the staff member's relationship to the district is in any way utilized to influence the sale;
B. Receiving economic benefit from the sale of instructional and training materials and/or equipment where the district has specifically engaged a staff member(s) to develop such materials or equipment. In such instances, the district will retain a proprietary interest;
C. Encouraging a student who is enrolled in one or more of a teacher's classes to take private lessons or to engage tutoring for a fee from the staff member;
D. Using or providing for others a list of names and home addresses obtained from school records or school-related contacts for purposes of identifying potential client or customer contacts;
E. Participating in any way in the selection process for materials, books, or equipment when an item developed by or authored by the staff member or a member of his/her family is under consideration for approval for district use;
F. Being involved in the selection of an applicant or in the appointment, evaluation, or supervision of any other staff member who is a family member;
G. Using interschool mail or email to promote sales of a product in which a staff member has a financial interest;
H. Providing a staff or student directory for use in promoting sales of a product or service; and
I. Purchasing or otherwise acquiring surplus district property where the staff member was involved in or had influence in the process of declaring the item(s) as surplus.
Written permission from the superintendent/designee or principal is necessary when:
A.  A certificated staff member wishes to tutor or give private lessons for a fee to any student who is enrolled in one or more of the teacher's classes after a parent/guardian requests the tutoring/private lessons; or
B.  A certificated staff member, such as a communication disorder specialist, psychologist, or specialized music teacher, wishes to give private instruction for a fee to any student who is concurrently being served by that individual in the regular school program.   
A district employee may use public resources to benefit others as part of the employee’s official duties if the expenditure is of de minimus value (of little or no value; no impact on public funds) and is purchased with the consent of his/her supervisor.
Legal References:
RCW 28A.400.332 Use of persons, money, or property for private gain
WAC  181-87-090 Improper remunerative conduct
Adoption Date: 5/22/84
Franklin Pierce Schools
Revised: 12/14/95; 11/18/08; 1/19/16
Classification: Priority