3131 District Attendance Area Transfers

Each student in Franklin Pierce Schools is required to attend the school designated for the geographic attendance area in which he or she resides.
A parent or guardian may request that his or her child be allowed to attend another school in the district. Requests must be submitted in writing to the principal of the building at which the student is currently assigned. Secondary students who request attendance area transfers are subject to the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association’s eligibility rules.
Transfers may be granted if:
  1. A financial, educational, safety, or health condition affecting the student would be reasonably improved as a result of the transfer;
  2. Attendance at another school in the district is more accessible to the parent's place of work or to the location of child care; or
  3. There is some other special hardship or detrimental condition affecting the student or the student's immediate family which would be alleviated as a result of the transfer.
  4. A student moves to a new attendance area in the district during the school year.
  • Students may elect to transfer at the time of the move or at the end of the semester or grading period.
  • Students wishing to remain at their original school can request an in-district transfer, and, if approved, would need to provide their own transportation.
  • Transfers of high school students to another school within the district for a reason other than moving into a new attendance area may only be approved to coincide with the beginning of a new grading period.
The principal of the currently-assigned school shall consult with the principal of the school to which the student desires to transfer to determine:
  1. Whether space is available in the grade level or classes at the building in which the student desires to be enrolled;
  2. Whether appropriate transportation, educational programs, or services are available to improve the student's condition as stated in requesting the transfer; and
  3. Whether the student's transfer is likely to create a risk to the health or safety of other students or staff at the new building.
Transfers must be granted if the student is a child of a full-time certificated or classified school employee unless:
  1. The student has a history of convictions, violent or disruptive behavior, or gang membership;
  2. The student has been expelled or suspended from school for more than ten consecutive days; or
  3. The student displaces a child who is a resident of the district.
Legal References:
RCW 28A.225.270  Intradistrict enrollment options policies
RCW 28A.225.300 Enrollment options information to parents
RCW 28A.225.290 Enrollment options information booklet
C 36 L 03 Enrolling Children of Certificated and Classified School Employees
Adoption Date: 4/23/96
Franklin Pierce Schools
Revised: 4/27/99; 11/18/08; 11/9/10
Classification: Optional